Last summer as I sifted through some of the new tracks over at Traxsource. I stumbled on one of Amsterdam’s upcoming Afrohouse DJs. The track released at the time truly ‘quietly invaded the scene’.
Fantasma is a gorgeous tune. He’s signed to Offering Recordings and has the deeper sound usually coming from that label. Earlier this year we talked about his plans for the future with Offering Recordings. Let’s look at his discography.
He’s dropped solid tracks for the last five years. Skyline (ITH) 2012 (Defected Records), Life Takes Time 2013 (Tribe Records),Embrace You 2014 (Z Records), Loyal People 2015 (Offering Recordings), Follow Through 2016(Global Diplomacy),Fantasma 2016(Offering Recordings) Each track has built on the release from the previous year.
Before this interview I went checking for your biography and found an awesome discography. I found maybe….one interview. Is this by design?
Thank you, and good to hear you liked the interview. It kinda depends on the questions that are being asked. I try to give as much information about myself as possible without the feeling of reading a book or something. But always pure and honest.
Get to know Migosy….Migosy is based out of the Netherlands which lends a very unique sound to the Afro House style.Offering Recordings and Migosy were brought together because it was a combination of the right timing as well as his unique/rhythmic sound. Offering Recordings is always looking for something fresh and new.
Music was a strong influence from a very early age. He remembers fiddling with his Mother’s amplifier. He’d mess around with buttons and knobs. He’d turn the amplifier on/off in a rhythmic way.
He laughs ‘it would keep me busy for minutes…my mom would stop me of course because I was interrupting the music and that’s was pretty annoying for her’
As he got older at about 12; My brother (Fode) got me a PC so I could explore my musical needs a bit more. I had no idea I’d be making hits some day. He thanks his brother!!! ‘thanks bro’ It’s amazing when family can/does support your goals somehow.He grew up listening to 80’s music: Prince, Michael Jackson, Duran Duran, Ollie & Jerry, Rocksteady Crew, Earth, Wind & Fire which made a heavy impact on Migosy wanting to make music. I could easily fall in love with their music. One very important person in his life, his sister Aisata Blackman she taught him how to really sing!se taught him how to sing in a different tone and how to vocally harmonize. It’s so enjoyable. They used to sing along to 90s RnB-R Kelly,Shai,Jodeci (ain’t nuthin like 90s rnb!)Aisata is currently the lead performer/singer in Sister Act-The Musical (in Germany) I’d love to watch her perform if I (shine) get a chance!
You’re based out of Amsterdam-besides ADE what is the Underground House scene like over there? Is it anything like London or NY? I haven’t experienced the underground scene in London or NY yet but I can say Amsterdam is poppin’. There is so much raw talent here. That’s why myself and my good friend Deep Rooted Soul started our concept Cuisine @ Club NL, Sifa Siluvangi (Label Manager,Offering Recordings/DEPTH Music) recently played that other night was fire!!! It’s a concept where we book DJ’s who have their own sound and are not afraid to try something outside the box. Currently we’ve moved to a new spot in Amsterdam which we’ll reveal soon!
During ADE we work with many international names & labels in the scene such as my big bro N’Dinga Gaba & Global Diplomacy, Federico Luyo & Double Cheese Recordings/House of Franky, Pascal Morais & Arrecha Records, Paris Cesvette, (Ministry of House) Todd G and many more.
5) How has the Netherlands embraced your signature musical set? (What do you like to play?) I have to be honest, it took a while for people to understand what I was playing, but it didn’t take long for my sound to really stick. We as Dutch people have so many choices so you really have to come up with something good to impress us. (kinda critical yes?) lol
6) Describe your spiritual connection to music in general? What about Dance Music?Everything in life is a vibration, with music it’s the same thing. That explains why music can trigger sadness, anger, happiness or euphoria. It triggers our emotions. Now that I’m getting older I seem to understand this more and more. Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
8) With the warm reception of ‘Fantasma’ are you working on anything new for 2017? 2018? I’m actually always working on something new so I can play exclusive music in my sets. You’ll notice on his Jan 2017 top 10 Traxsource choices. If I can surprise myself I will definitely surprise the crowd I’m playing for. I like to test my music first before I put it out. But there will definitely be some new releases coming out this year.
9) When are you visiting North America? Do you intend to visit North America? There aren’t any plans just yet but I would love to pay a visit one day!
10) Any advice for other cats in the game? For young cats starting out? We all have our own story to tell.It’s okay to be influenced by anything, but make sure you stay authentic and create your own sound. That way you’ll stand out from everything.
Migosy on Twitter>>>https://twitter.com/migosy
Migosy on FB>>>https://www.facebook.com/Migosy/
Migosy on IG>>>www.instagram.com/migosymusic
Migosy on SoundCloud>>>www.soundcloud.com/migosy
You must be logged in to post a comment.